Blueberry Coconut Slice
1 1/2 cups natural almond meal
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup fine coconut
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
300g frozen blueberries
2 tbl chia seeds
1 lemon, rind only
1 tbl maple syrup (optional, but adds extra sweetness)
1/3 cup of the base mixture
1/2 cup shredded or fine coconut
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a lamington or square tin with baking paper.
2. In a saucepan, add the frozen blueberries, chia seeds and lemon rind and simmer
on low to medium heat for approx. 10 minutes until the berries have turned into a
jammy consistency. Use a fork to help break down the berries while they are
3. Combine all dry ingredients for the base in a bowl and mix to combined. Add in the
wet ingredients into the dry and mix again until a dough like substance is formed.
4. Reserve about 1/3 cup of the base mixture and set aside (this is for the crumble
topping) and press the remaining mixture into the base of the lined tin and place in
the oven to cook for 15-17 minutes until it begins to turn golden brown.
5. To make the crumble, place the 1/3 cup reserved base mixed into a bowl with the
shredded coconut and crumble with your fingers.
6. Once cooked, allow the base to cool slightly, then spread over the berry jam and
crumble over the top, press down slightly to secure the crumble. Place back into the
oven and cook for 12 minutes until the crumble on top is golden in colour.
7. Allow to cool fully before slicing. For best results, place in the fridge to set.