Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
6 short cut rashers of bacon, diced
1kg beef chuck steak, diced into 2cm pieces
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 brown onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
200g button mushrooms, quartered
2 tablespoons cassava or tapioca flour
1 cup red wine
1 ½ cups bone broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tbl tamari
1 tbl fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 handful parsley, chopped
1 small sweet potato, cut into 2cm cubes
Sea salt & pepper
1. In a large frying pan, fry off the bacon until crispy in plenty of olive oil and place in
the bottom of the slow cooker.
2. Using the bacon fat, brown the chuck steak in batches and transfer to the slow
3. Add the carrot, onion, garlic and mushrooms and brown and then add to the slow
4. Pour in the red wine and allow it to simmer for several minutes, deglazing the pan
and then whisk in the flour to thicken. Add the red wine mixture to the slow cooker.
5. Add the remaining ingredients into the slow cooker (stock, tomato paste, tamari,
thyme and parsley) and mix until well combined.
6. Season with salt and pepper and cook on low for 6 hours until the beef is so tender
it’s falling apart. Stir every couple of hours if you can.
7. At this point, if you’d like to reduce the sauce further, use a slotted spoon to scoop
out the liquid into a saucepan, cover with a lid and simmer on low for 15 minutes
until reduced. Add the liquid back into the slow cooker and mix through. Season to
8. Serve with mashed potato or extra greens, or both!