The slow cooker is not only suited to winter warmers - it's the perfect summer kitchen companion too. Just set and forget without having to slave away in the kitchen with the hot stove or oven on. This Curry is filled with fresh, fragrant ingredients and is slow cooked until tender and falling apart, which makes it nutrient dense and easy to digest.
WHY DO WE RECOMMEND MAKING YOUR OWN CURRY PASTE?
It may seem like a lot more effort BUT we couldn't emphasise this step enough. The main reasons are:
- many store bought curry pastes have added preservatives, colourings, additives and artificial flavours. These ingredients are NOT REAL ingredients and are not made to be digestive by our digestive system. It is often from these artificial ingredients that many IBS symptoms arise.
- Many store bought curry pastes are made using highly processed oils such as vegetable or canola. These are considered inflammatory for the body and even though it may only seem like a small, insignificant amount... when you are already dealing with a compromised gut.. anything will stir up more inflammation.
- You need to ask yourself the question. How long have these paste been sitting on the shelf? My guess is that they were made years ago (which is generally the case). The ingredients are not fresh and will in no way taste as good and fragrant as a made-from-scratch curry paste.
As a side note: You may be able to find some really great pre-made curry pastes. We totally understand that when you are time poor a recipe like this is just not really realistic.. especially because the ingredients aren't ones that you might have on hand. I would recommend having a look in your local health food store and seeing what ingredients are in the pre made versions available there.
- 1 large red chilli
- 1/2 large bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 whole bulb of garlic (the whole head, not just an individual clove.)
- 80g bulb of fresh ginger
- 1 brown shallots
- 2 large stems of spring onions
- large pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 15g fresh lemon grass stalks
- 2tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil
- 600g lamb shoulder, diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 450g sweet potato, cubed
- 1 whole head of broccoli, cut into small florets and the stems diced (about 150g)
- 1/2 bunch coriander
- 150g snow peas
- 1.5 cups of bone broth or stock
- 2 x 400ml cans of coconut milk
- one big tbsp of LYG gelatin powder https://www.loveyagutsbox.com/products/grass-fed-gelatin
Make sure you tag us on instagram if you are cooking up this recipe @loveyaguts_box
Discover How Love Ya Guts Box Can Help Transform Your Gut Health
- Get to the root cause of bloating rather than just treating symptoms
- Beat Reflux, Heartburn & Low stomach acid
- Soothes the stomach and assist with issues such as IBS symptoms so you can feel comfortable within your body
- Get rid of sugar cravings
- Boosts your metabolism & control blood sugar to make weight loss almost effortless
- Balance hormones so your body can function how it was meant to but also help with having a balanced mood