Gut health is all the talk these days and so often we get people asking us how do I know if I have an unhealthy gut or not?
So in this post i'm going to break it down in 7 signs that your gut isn't functioning as well as it should be
1. Upset / Uncomfortable Stomach
If you suffer from issues like gas, feeling bloated regularly, diarrhoea, being constipated and not going to the toilet at least once per day then your gut isn't functioning efficiently.
When your gut is functioning well you will have less trouble processing food, eliminating waste out of your body and therefore will not have the issues that are stated above.
2. Eating Refined Foods & A Diet High In Sugar
Eating foods that are processed or have any preservatives, additives & sugar will alter the gut microbiome, cause inflammation in our body and even start to create a build up of unhealthy bacteria.
Chronic Inflammation leads to weight gain, brain fog, sore joints and can be a precursor for other diseases and long term can lead to different forms of cancers
If you are looking to have a healthy gut avoid things like
- Refined sugar, High fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners
- Vegetable & Seed Oils such as Soybean oil, Canola oil, Corn oil, Cottonseed oil, Sunflower oil, Peanut oil, Sesame oil, Rice bran oil.
3. Poor Quality Skin
Poor quality skin is another sign of an unhealthy gut, issues like eczema, rosacea, acne, psoriasis are all gut related, when the gut is inflamed it's natural defence is to try and remove the issues that are happening and that can happen through our skin which can then be irritated and cause reactions.
4. Food Intolerances
Struggling to digest certain foods can be a sign of not having enough good bacteria in the gut. Everyone can be a little bit different and have no reactions to certain foods whilst others can react severely.
Signs that you might have an intolerance to certain foods are if after eating you suffer from unpleasant feelings like gas, bloating, stomach pain or nausea.
The most common food intolerances are
- Dairy, Wheat, Gluten & Eggs, Lectins
5. Anxiety, Depression & Mood Swings
An unhealthy gut can lead to mental health issues, it is estimated up to 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut, serotonin is the neurotransmitter that is to help regulate your mood, social behaviour and but also other things like digestion, sex drive, sleep and memory.
If we have poor gut health we can have deficiencies in serotonin leading to the issues as stated above.
6. Getting Sick Regularly
Our gut wall houses about 70% of the cells that make up the immune system, so if we have poor gut health generally our immune system is low, if you have taken multiple courses of antibiotics over your lifetime chances are your gut isn't functioning efficiently because not only do they kill bad bacteria but also the good bacteria which in turn makes you more susceptible to becoming sick time and time again.
7. Low Energy & Chronic Fatigue
Low energy levels & fatigue are linked to gut health, the severity of chronic fatigue symptoms have been found to directly correlate with the blood levels of immune cells directed against toxin-generating gut bacteria.
In layman terms that means the more your unhealthy gut bacteria permeates through your leaky gut, the greater will be your feelings of extreme tiredness and chronic fatigue.
If you are struggling with any of the following issues in this blog and are looking to heal your gut click the button below to learn more about our Love Ya Guts Box to find out how you can start healing your gut.
Discover How Love Ya Guts Box Can Help Transform Your Gut Health
- Get to the root cause of bloating rather than just treating symptoms
- Beat Reflux, Heartburn & Low stomach acid
- Soothes the stomach and assist with issues such as IBS symptoms so you can feel comfortable within your body
- Get rid of sugar cravings
- Boosts your metabolism & control blood sugar to make weight loss almost effortless
- Balance hormones so your body can function how it was meant to but also help with having a balanced mood