LAMB SHANK SOUP
My slow cooked lamb shank soup recipe!! It's a cracker.
-4 grass fed lamb shanks
-3 cups of homemade beef bone broth (or any bone broth)
-1 brown onions, diced
-5 garlic cloves, crushed
-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
-3 carrots, finely chopped
-3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
-3 bay leaves
-2 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
-1 heaped tbsp of LYG gelatin powder (optional)
-Sea salt and black pepper
-mixed vegetables. I usually have 1/4 pumpkin, 1/2 broccoli, mushrooms. BUT use whatever you have in the fridge
-rice noodles OR gluten free noodles OR kelp noodles
1. In a large crockpot, heat olive oil on high and add onion and your lamb shanks. Fry these off until the shanks are lightly seared on all sides.
2.Add in bone broth, tomatoes, apple cider, salt and pepper, gelatin, bay leaves, celery, carrot and garlic. Bring to the boil.
3. Then fill the crockpot up with filtered water ...I usually go about 3/4 full (or as much liquid as you like)
4. Turn the heat down, add the lid and let the soup simmer away for around 2 hours.
5. 40 mins before it's ready add in chopped vegetables and continue to simmer. Also add your noodles if using.
1. You can also make this in a slow cooker, you just need to fry of the shanks, onion, garlic first then add all remaining ingredients except any greens such as broccoli. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Add your green vegetables towards the end of the cook.
2. You can add whatever leftover vegetables you have in your fridge. You don’t have to follow these one for one!
3. Serve with a big handful of fresh herbs and greens on top.